Extended Mayfly Quill Body by Markus Hoffman
i’ve seen a number of pre-made rubber hollow bodies aiming towards the same effect, but they where so ugly that using them felt more like an insult to fly tying but mostly to the fish.
and then comes Markus’ ever-creative mind that gives birth to this ingenious, simple, quick, realistic, transparent, lively looking, for-sure floating (because of all the trapped air when tied in) and just too friggin’ yummy mayfly abdomen for a fish to pass up.
by using the same pin and uv resin technique but using different sized and shaped pins and varying tail materials or not even placing a tail at all, under-body colours and rib materials we’ll end up with a whole range of delicious extended bodies to suit any hatching bug.
something tells me this technique will be remembered and passed on for a while. simply brilliant, good on ya Markus. thanks !
yup, Markus Hoffman‘s crawled out of his Guinness-Flavored man-cave and gone into town to bring us this unusually located tasty-yummy swedish half-in/half-out, midge-chironomid-buzzer ‘Frisörmyggan‘ treat *
since the fly itself is a little hard to see on the vid, Markus gracefully provided a few pics to wet your lacquered and well gelled appetite. enjoy !
* ‘Midge-Hairdresser’ (yeah, goofy but as long as it isn’t Surströmming and it catches fish i can live with it)
** be sure to click on either pic for a selection of Markus’ trippy tying tutorials previously posted on the Cobra
Markus Hoffman says it’s a caddis imitation. not being so sure as to what he’s referring to i did a little research for myself-
a living organism that feeds on organic matter, typically having specialized sense organs and nervous system and able to respond rapidly to stimuli: animals such as unspecific flies adapt badly to a caged, boxed life |humans are the only animals who weep when they can’t decide on the right fly to use whereas flies think it’s funny when humans weep.
• any such living organism other than a human being: No other creature feels compelled to tie flies or fly fish.
• a mammal, as opposed to a bird, reptile, fish, or insect: the snowfall seemed to have chased all birds, animals, and fly tiers indoors to lay their eggs.
• a person whose behavior is regarded as devoid of human attributes or civilizing influences: “those men have to be animals, they’re constantly pointing their thumbs towards the heavens”.
• [ with adj. or noun modifier ] a particular type of person or thing: a regular party animal | wha ?…
and plenty of it !
yet another groovy tying tutorial by Markus Hoffman. this one’s as woW as his previous works, and there’s even chickens ! enjoy !